So Dr. Ali (surg fellow) came in and "unpacked" Tiernan's chest. He was really pleased with how well he did and was quite tempted to just go ahead and close his chest, but he "didn't want to get greedy". Tiernan has gotten rid of so much of the fluids today thanks to your pee pee prayers, that it would have been a piece of cake to close. He wanted to wait for x-ray to be absolutely certain they got all the 4x4 gauze and then he will close tomorrow.
Speaking of getting rid of all that fluid, we are starting to see a more normal Tiernan face. He was SO puffy, and that has finally gone down. I can't wait until I get to see those eyes.
Tiernan is moving a lot now that his vec is off, but his numbers seem pretty good, meaning he tolerated to procedure very well.
Tonight's only mission is to keep him comfortable and for us to get rest.
On to other things. We are extremely fortunate that, even though we are so far from home, we have a wonderful family nearby who has been working very hard to spoil us. :)
I would like to publicly recognize the Vassers. My connection to this family actually goes back to my best friend from childhood, Amanda. Her mom is a Vasser and so I can recall Amanda's Uncle Mark and Aunt Karen visiting from California. (Very exotic to a young girl from Montana, I can assure you.) At any rate, I have some vague recollections of hearing that Amanda's cousin, Adam, had been visiting and gotten very sick and it turned out to be his heart. He was flown back to their home of Palo Alto and placed on the transplant list at LPCH back in 1998. They were here for 5 (?) months and have been back and forth for different reasons over the past 15 years. So now, as a family who "gets it", they are doing all they can to help. Karen has been bringing yummy food and visiting, and Adam has been SO awesome with Tristan, since they share a significant sports passion. Tonight, while Jason hung out with Tiernan and "Hans, the night nurse" (who is pretty awesome, by the way), Mom, Dad, Tristan and I got to go to their house (15 minutes away) and have delicious Alaskan Salmon and Halibut that Mark caught himself! What a lovely thing to be out of the hospital for a few hours. They also have a hot tub that we will most certainly be taking advantage of at some point.
So, really. THANK YOU Karen, Mark and Adam. You are making this so much easier. And Tristan is LOVING his new sports cards that Adam so kindly parted with. (They include a Jay Buhner card and a Dan Wilson Rookie card for me too!)
We continue to be so thankful for all the incredible people taking care of our Tiernan. This is one special place. I am also so relieved to still be getting advice and support from Dr. O and Most Favorite Nurse in the History of Nurses, Jodi. It means a lot that they are still so invested in his life.
More tomorrow. It is a big day with the chest closure expected to take place. J and I should be able to get some decent rest on our lovely sleep sofa on the 3rd floor.
Thanks for your continued support and love. We feel it and it boosts us throughout every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment