Saturday, August 9, 2014

We're movin' on up....to 3West side...

We have a new addy!!!!!  3 WEST!!!!!  Hooray!  The CVICU team sent us up around 10:30 this morning.  We were not expecting this today at all.  In fact, I thought for sure they would just keep us until after the cath.  Yesterday his x-ray was way worse.  So much so that Dr. Reddy was advocating putting him back on high flow.  The PA, Elizabeth, decided, and Dr. Reddy agreed, to let us work on getting him up and moving around more, adding chest percussion and being really careful about his diuretics and nutrition.  When I came in this morning, Elizabeth stopped by around 7 and asked if I'd seen the x-ray this morning.  I was worried and asked if it was worse.  She said NO.  It's much better, actually.  So I guess this was enough incentive to get us on out of there! 
 
But don't get too excited.  We have the cath scheduled for Monday at 2pm.  (bummer of a time for procedure.  He'll have to be NPO (no food after 6am and clear liquids until 11)But it will be worth it for his little tune up to take place. 
 
My cousin Scott, who lives in Redondo Beach, CA, came up for a visit yesterday.  So great to see him.  And he brought this crazy toy.  It's these little "bugs" that vibrate their way up and around the tubing.  So hilarious! Tiernan played with it for a good 2 hours last night and quite awhile this morning.  Thanks Scott!
 Yesterday, in an effort to get those lungs working better, we went on several walks/rides.  He was pretty excited to go to the gift shop. 
 The thing about living in an ICU of any kind, is there are a lot of wires and tubes everywhere.  I haven't really held this super boy since early on the morning of the 18th.  We are finally free enough to snuggle a bit. 
 Super T found his new room in a flash and was so excited.  Look at those skinny legs!  hahaha
 And then, finally, PET THERAPY DAY!!!!  He has been anxiously awaiting this day for 2 weeks! He was so happy to hang with those sweet pups.  We also got to have a "date" with the lovely Lydia, who is also from Washington.  (about 45 minutes north of us).  She had her Fontan the Friday before Tiernan had his surgery and has been patiently waiting for her tubes to stop draining.  We have been so excited to be up on 3 so we could visit.
 Tiernan, Lydia and Nicky
 Lucy
 Nicky
 I absolutely believe therapy pets are amazing.  I'm so glad they have this program here.  I also think I would like to look into raising a therapy dog and having Tiernan be a part of the team so he can share strength with other kids through his story.  But that is a bit down the road. 
 After the puppies, Tiernan still had enough energy to go to the playroom.  He is walking and moving around better and better each day, but he still isn't super stoked about it.  It's still difficult and he would really rather not.  hahaha.  It should make it easier being up on 3 so we can just walk down the hall to the playroom each day. 

Of course, he is totally worn out now and sleeping.  Jason is taking the first night shift (we can sleep in the room with him now) so I hope this late nap doesn't mess things up too badly. 

I am thrilled to be out of CVICU for many reasons.  (not the least of which is I get to have my coffee IN the room now!!!!) But we now have to get used to having roommates.  Our roomie right now is a baby who is awaiting a G Tube and Nissen surgery.  Poor punkin cries and cries.  I think she just pulled out her NG tube and so there were several nurses working to replace it just now.  She was NOT impressed.  And oh man, that sound brought me right back to Tiernan....The Early Years.  Not pleasant memories. 

After the cath on Monday, I am really hoping we aren't far from discharge. Doctors won't predict, but if this does what it should do, then he is mostly ready anyway.  Just need to ditch the O2 for good and get his meds regulated.  Everything else, in my expert opinion, can be done at home.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment