Monday, August 11, 2014

Cath has been cancelled....maybe permanently

Before anything,  I just have to brag about my Tristan.  What an artist he is becoming.  This is the Jade plant that has been in my parents' home since I can remember.  It grew from a cutting off a plant at my mom's great aunt's house.  I am floored by the details Tristan added.  The old nylon and stick supporting the plant.  The texture on the trunk.  The variation of color on the pot.  The leaves that have fallen into the pot.  It is remarkable.  I hope he will decide to take art lessons to hone his skills.
 Tiernan and Lydia got together for a playdate in her room yesterday.  She taught us how to play this great game called Pengoloo.  It is like a memory game.  So nice to have friends in the hospital. 
 I know I have said this before, but we have been so happy with Tiernan's nursing team here at Packard.  But some just stand out.  I was not here for this moment, but this gal decided to have Tiernan flush his own PIV.  Typically, this is one of the biggest irritations for him.  He always cries and resists.  She knew this approach would turn things around and it really did. 
 While out for our morning adventures, Dr. Reddy walked by.  She was quite pleased with his progress and, I suspect, was most thrilled about his fluid balance for yesterday.  (negative 140 or so) 
I have to wonder if this chance encounter this morning had something to do with the change in plans. 
 This morning's walk was even MORE exciting and special because Spiderman was cleaning the windows!  So fun!  Tiernan arrived just as promotional photos were being taken, so he may get to be in some sort of publication.  They said they would email us any photos they took.  Apparently this only happens about once per year.  We were very fortunate.  We also spent the next 30 minutes stalking Spidey from floor to floor.  Superman was also around but Spiderman was the definite favorite. 
So, back to the big news of the day.

After being NPO (not allowed to eat anything after midnight (so, in reality, 8:30 last night) and no liquids after 9 this morning) and all ready to roll, the team cancelled the cath at the eleventh hour.  When they came to chat with us, the reasoning was, as I had hoped, that they felt he was doing so well over the past few days since the cath had been scheduled.  They like his fluid balance, he is acting quite well and his food intake is next to normal.  So they are awaiting comment from Dr. Hanley regarding how he feels.  I don't actually think he will advocate for them doing one.  Following the past echo, the gradient was determined to be pretty close to normal as well.  (maybe this is indicative of the improved and normalized flow?)  At this point I gather that the risks, perhaps, outweigh the benefits.  He wouldn't be big enough for this to be the last stent he would require.  All in all, they really feel, as long as Hanley agrees, that he should work towards being off the O2 and maybe weaning the diuretics a little bit.  That also depends on Dr. Hanley, however, because the cardiologist said Hanley has a bit of an added investment in following and directing his recovery plan.  He insisted that Tiernan go home on an "aggressive diuretic treatment".  Apparently Hanley never makes any sort of recommendation for medication regimen post op.  He just leaves it up to the cardiology team.  (Lupe, the case manager, also said he would not be surprised if Tiernan's case were to end up in some medical journals.)

So. 

Unless Hanley wants the cath, we *could* be looking at discharge by end of the week, if not earlier. 

Woah!

Exciting but I'm not going to make any big plans just yet.  We should hear back from Hanley tonight or tomorrow morning so we will know more at that point.  I guess this news makes having to distract a very hungry 4 year old all day mostly worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment