What to do? What to do?
Blogger Queen Heather Heywood, please guide me in my decision. :)
[waiting to feel her energy tell me what to do....]
Okay, I have channeled the spirit of the Blogger Queen and I have decided to just go ahead and put it on this site. (in case you hadn't figured that out since this is where you are reading)
Yesterday was a big milestone for the Wee T and for the rest of us.
We drove to Bellingham...2.5 hours to the north.
Why, you may be wondering, is this such a big deal?
Several reasons come to mind...
1. Not wanting to get too far away from cardiologist related people.
2. Tube feeding can be a challenge on the road.
But the biggest obstacle was definitely
3. Tiernan does NOT have much tolerance for time spent in the car.
No. Really. He was never the kid who fell asleep the instant the motor starts. He is the kid who started screaming in that second and would then desat to around 65 and subsequently begin to gag and retch and soon mommy would be in a state of panic wondering if he was going to aspirate or something.
So, a tad stressful.
His riding stamina has improved exponentially since we turned him to a forward facing position. His OT work with the Vestibular System has been pretty powerful as well.
So this was a first step to the bigger goal. I actually feel like we are training for a marathon.
Both sets of grands, my sister and her husband and 7 year old son, my grandma and many friends all live in Missoula Montana.
A full 9 hours drive from us.
I have been aching to get back for a visit. Jason and I have not been there since well before T2 was born and he has never been there.
For all of the above stated reasons.
Those and my (perhaps unnecessary) concern that him going over 3 mountain passes might have been rough for him since his oxygen sats are in the mid to low 80s as it is.
We are 99% sure this is not an issue.
But that darn 1% of my anxious mind will cause my body to grab the oxygen tank that has remained untouched in our den for the past 14 1/2 months just. in. case.
Anyway, the biggest obstacle again, is whether or not T will even tolerate long stretches in the car.
Soooo, we have a plan. It includes starting with shorter jaunts that will build up his endurance.
Example....going to Bellingham.
Without further ado, here are some fun moments captured expertly on digital film for all to see as proof of this most important event.
T SPIES GUNTHER
Luckily, Gunther is a highly tolerant kitty. (Ihe has been appropriately desensitized by Kevin Gerard, Auntie Mary's oldest....in his early 20s. You were thinking perhaps a child? No.)
I love how the entire time T is climbing he is watching to make sure no one will stop him.
I'm such a good mommy. Anything for a cute photo op.
(and resulting blog post....yes. I think in blog posts)
This was definitely one of Tiernan's favorite hang outs at the Gerard home.
T MEETS GRIZZLY, AKA GRIZ, AKA GRIZABOO, AKA BUDDHA AND FALLS IN LOVE
I tried (and failed) to get more pictures of this sweet new friendship, but they are just both too fast. :)
My child REALLY loves animals. For now he will just have to settle for the pets he has via Nanny K.
ACTION SNOT...ER....SHOT
Tiernan seems to have inherited his daddy's seasonal allergy issue. Dang it! Why couldn't my lucky genes win out on this one?!!!! Both boys will apparently suffer.
Anyway, this is one of maaaannnnnyy times this scene was played out yesterday.
TO THE PARK WE GO!
I don't actually know what T was doing here. I just really like the picture.
The Next Next NEXT Karate Kid.
The Gerards are such big dog lovers they visit the dog park even without Griz in tow. They are Tiernan's kind of people for sure.
T got such joy at just walking on the trail, Mostly because there were so many dogs who passed by.
No doubt figuring out how to scale that fence.
I love catching moments with him that are so normal! And this one turned out so perfectly.
I LOVED this shot...until I noticed the snot bubbles coming out of his nose. Must. Learn. Adobe.
And speaking of normal....
Is there a child who DOESN'T love this move?
We arrived home late. Around 11pm. Both T's slept most
[this blog interrupted by a little one wanting to type his own thoughts]
of the way. T2 woke up quite annoyed at still being in the dang carseat, but settled down when I showed him pics and vids from my iphone.
Which brings me to my last thought.
Even though T did quite well on this small journey, for the MT marathon I think we may be giving up the fight, breaking down and getting one of these babies.
Don't judge. :)

We have a DVD player in our van....it has been the biggest life saver EVER! Plus, now that Caleb is old enough, we bought him a Nintendo DS. There is no judging coming from me! We are just as bad! :o)
ReplyDeleteTHAT'S AWESOME!!!!!! i'm so happy you were able to get away for a visit! <3 <3 <3 as for "thinking in blog posts"... i do that, too. (i also think in FB status updates. LOL)
ReplyDeleteglad i could help with this post, btw. ;)