Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Let the blending begin

So I finally found time got over my anxiety and made a batch of homemade blended formula for Tiernan.  Why was this such a big source of nerves for me as a mom????  I think it boils down to this: once again, although as a mom I KNOW I am capable of providing proper nourishment to my children, the fact that the Wee T has been tube fed for most all but 3 months of his life (if even that) has caused me to doubt that instinct.  Don't get me wrong.  I am so grateful for the presence of an RD (registered dietitian) in our lives.  But the more I think about it, the more I realize that having someone tell you how fast, how long, how much and what kind tends to cause little vampires* to creep in and say things like, "you don't know what you're doing." or "who do you think you are making your own formula.  there are professionals who make sure the formula is perfectly balanced for your son." or "sure, you may know how to feed a healthy child, but Tiernan is not a healthy child."  Ugh!  DIE VAMPIRES DIE!!!!!!*

*funny how and where musical theatre references enter my life....wait....it's pretty much everywhere and all the time.  never mind.

Anyway, Sunday night I just killed that vampire.  Blended him right up and now we have a tube fed boy who is getting REAL FOOD!!!!!  Not full time yet.  But I will be working up to that.
I have started with baby food based formula since I am stuck with my little (not so powerful) blender at the moment.
The Recipe That Started It All

2 oz strained chicken or turkey
3 oz strained peas and carrots
3.5 oz applesauce
1/4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 oz Whole Milk
1.5 Tbsp rice cereal
1.3/4 Tbsp milk powder
1/4 Tbsp dark corn syrup

I hope to start doing some recipes to include other things like spinach, avocado, flaxseed and quinoa. Since I have this opportunity to feed my toddler superfoods, I feel compelled to do so.  
As I expected after hearing from several other moms who blend (that sounds like a book title....Moms Who Blend...haha) the days of letting the bolus go in via gravity in under a minute are gone.  The HBF (homemade blended formula) is too thick and must be pushed in.  We had a few ounces come back at us as we figure out the best method for T, but after 3 days it seems to be going well.  
Following the first bolus, I asked him to share his reaction to the new formula on camera.  I got this.

I will take that as a success.  I know it was far too early for him to be experiencing a difference, but I am sure it feels different in his belly.
Since that evening we have had a few other successes as well.  We are once again nearly off Zantac.  It is down to 1 mL 1x daily.  Practically nothing.  This Friday I do believe we will call it quits on all tummy meds!

And then there is this....
...that is apple juice, friends.  The Wee T has not been willing to drink anything but water since getting his tube.  I find it hilarious that with Big T I watered down any of the small amounts of juice I allowed him each day but am now giddy with excitement every time I look at this picture.  He has yet to drink an entire can (80 calories) but yesterday he was close!  Victorious!

Thnaks to all you Moms Who Blend for the encouragement and support as I killed my vampires.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment