Saturday, April 5, 2014

Grateful doesn't begin to cover it

We are in the midst of planning our big trip down to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto, CA.  Tiernan's MRI went well and all signs still point to bi-vent.  Surgery is scheduled for May 8th.

A few things have stood out for me since the MRI.  One was learning his Ejection Fraction is 54.8.  If you don't follow that link, I'll tell you that EF is the measurement of how well your heart pumps with each contraction.

And normal range is 55-70.

Tiernan is 54.8.  He is only .2 below normal EF!!!!!  That has me ridiculously excited, given how few things regarding his heart we can say are that close to normal

The other thing I have been trying to really figure out are those chordal tissues and his wonky valve.  I have found a few diagrams and two (in my opinon) stunningly beautiful photos of the chords.
They are actually called chordae tendineae (CT) and they are the tiny things that could still derail the bi-vent.



So in these two diagrams, you can see the 4 different valves.  Because of Tiernan's AV Canal, (the big hole they want to close) his mitral (left) and tricuspid (right) are connected as one big valve. (Common AV Valve)  In addition, the right side is bigger and his left one leaks.  Dr. Hanley will, given cooperative CT, create a wall (septum) between the two sides of his AV valve.  They also feel that IF successful, the normalized circulation will all but eliminate the back pressure on the Mitral valve, thereby stopping the leakage.  Dr. O suspects strongly that the leakiness occurs because of the strange physiology and circulation that Tiernan has going on in his heart.

The next two photos are simply mesmerizing for me.  The first one is from an amazing gallery on Nat Geo.com


These are the actual "heart strings" in our heart.   (source)  How cool is that?!

So if you are given to praying or meditating or sending our awesome juju, please spend some of that focusing on these CTs to be in a favorable position.

As May 8th draws nearer, we continue to receive such gifts of generosity.  It is not always easy to accept, but I have learned that when people want to help I just need to say thank you.
So thank you to all of you who are giving so generously and praying so fervently on Tienan's behalf.  We are certainly lifted up by these incredible gifts. 

My OULA loves are also dedicating tomorrow's class to Tiernan.  So if you are able to join us up at Fresh Fitness and Dance at 4501 Interlake Ave. N. Wallingford, Wa. 98103.  We start the fun at 9:30AM.

I told my students I would be leaving.  My last day of this school year will be May 2nd.  As expected, there are many disappointed and sad kiddos, but even in the midst of that, they are filled with positive thoughts for Tiernan.  I will be extremely sad to miss out on the final concert with my 7th graders.  This is a special group with some incredible young people whom I have been so fortunate to get to sing with for 3 years.  There were tears this week.  And there will be more in the 3 weeks to come, but I am certain they will have a strong conclusion to their year because I have a wonderful long term sub. 

As for Tiernan, we ended up telling him the other day about the need to go to California for another surgery.  He asked why and I said the doctors are going to help make his heart even stronger!  He said Okay.  Then went and packed his Thomas the Tank Engine suitcase with cars and trains and said, "I'm all ready to go to California."

What an incredible boy I have.




3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Sending good juju!! Those are beautiful pics! And that is an awesome drum set!! Best best wishes to Tiernan and company! The road goes ever on an on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I tried to email you last night but it didn't go through. Please contact me, I am in the Stanford area and would love to make myself available if you need anything next month while you are here.
    Amy sun7flour@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you guys all the time.

    ReplyDelete