Tiernan did a fabulous job. I just can't believe he ever had an oral aversion! He let Dr. B brush on the flouride treatment and check out his chompers without a single complaint!
I was concerned that he would have some evidence of enamel breakdown due to his severe reflux and vomiting but Dr. B was pleased. He said his teeth look great and the two fused ones on the bottom are of no concern whatsoever. I am especially pleased that he seems to have established great communication with Dr. S already and so he knows how to handle the complex heart kiddo. (if fact, I believe I saw another mom I recognized from Mended Little Hearts in the waiting room as we were leaving.)
Showing off his healthy chompers.
Today was another happy doctor visit. We got to go show off what a big boy Tiernan is to Dr. P and Jessica at GI. Dr. P walked in and (after commenting on how fabulous my long dark hair is...love that guy!) admitted both he and Jessica had been nervous about seeing him. They were worried that maybe he wouldn't be doing as well as we had hoped or whatever. It is difficult for them in their line of work to give up control with kids like Tiernan. He has been on such a long and, at times, very scary road with us. I have very much appreciated his willingness to be flexible and trust us as parents and relinquish that micro-management that is so necessary.
Needless to say, however, Tiernan impressed them both with his steady weight/height gains and the wide range of foods he now eats.
Speaking of:
Stats are as follows:
Weight: 27 lbs 4.5 oz 27th percentile!
Height: Just shy of 35 inches 31st percentile!
Weight for Height is 35th percentile. This is perfection. They like cardiac kids to be anywhere from 25th to 50th percentile so he couldn't be any better!
He was so grown up during the exam. Dr. P could hardly believe it! This is a kid who would scream from start to finish but not anymore. He is such a big boy. :)
Admitting that he felt a tad silly asking to see him in 6 months when even cardio doesn't feel compelled to see him for NINE months, he still doesn't feel 100% comfortable going longer than that. Hmm. I get the feeling he doesn't trust T not to do something sneaky. hahaha. He knows him too well.
And truthfully, though I really believe Tiernan is doing great and will only continue to do well for the near future, I am fine with knowing we have a check-in person whenever we need it. Like I said, I am so thankful for Dr. P. He cares so much for our son and takes such joy in all his accomplishments. We are truly blessed with incredible doctors.
The other adorable thing is that Tiernan now has rituals when he goes to GI. At the opposite end of the 3rd floor from GI is a little statue of a bird and some other artwork. He absolutely MUST go visit his bird every time. I don't know why he loves it so much, but clearly he does.

No comments:
Post a Comment